Programs & Courses
Standard First Aid & CPR AED
Standard First Aid CPR AED is a comprehensive course offering first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training that will leave you feeling secure and confident to respond quickly and effectively to any emergency. You will learn lifesaving skills needed to respond to a first aid emergency and how to manage illness and injuries until the emergency medical service (EMS) arrive at the scene. Skills covered in this course include first aid; relief of choking in adults, children, and infants; and how to recognize and respond to sudden cardiac arrest in adults, children, and infants.
Instructors use presentations and skills demonstrations to teach critical skills and provide hands-on practice sessions. Participants receive coaching and feedback to facilitate their learning experience in a fun, engaging and dynamic environment.
First Aid with CPR & AED courses were developed in accordance with the recommendations from the International First Aid and Resuscitation Guidelines. This course meets legislation requirements for provincial/territorial worker safety and insurance boards (WSIB) and includes the latest first aid and CPR guidelines. For those who have a duty to respond to first aid and cardiac emergencies because of work requirements or who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home and in the community.
Method of Delivery:
- Blended classes consist of an online component and in-classroom component.
- The online component allows participants to review difficult topics in CPR, and AED at their own pace and improve their performance at the hands-on skill session and in real life emergencies.
- Upon completion of the online portion, participants must complete hands-on skills session with a Red Cross Instructor in the classroom.
- In-classroom courses means participants are with a Red Cross Instructor for their entire learning experience.
- Instructors teach CPR and AED training using presentations and skills demonstration.
- Instructor’s observe the participants, providing guidance and feedback to facilitate their learning experience in a fun and friendly environment.
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Identify the most important action steps to effectively respond to a life-threatening emergency
- Remove disposable gloves
- Demonstrate how to do a primary assessment following life-threatening conditions such as a heart attack, stroke, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding and shock.
- Demonstrate turning the victim into the recovery position
- Describe and demonstrate how to help a conscious and an unconscious victim with an obstructed airway
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Identify early signs and symptom of a heart attack and stroke
- Describe and demonstrate how to control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize the sign and symptoms of shock
- Describe how to minimize the risk of shock
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Demonstrate high-quality CPR for an adult, child and infant
- Describe how to perform two-rescuer CPR
- Demonstrate how to give rescue breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult, child and infant
- Describe the general care for common injuries and illnesses of the muscle, joints and bones
- Provide first aid care for common injuries and illnesses
- List the general principals for providing care to burn victims
- Describe and demonstrate the guidelines to follow when moving an injured person
- Recognize medical emergencies such as seizures, diabetes and drug overdose
- Describe what precautions should be taken to prevent heat and cold related illnesses
- Identify the general principles of care for poison-related emergencies
- First Aid & CPR (print and/or eBook)
- Comprehensive Guide to First Aid & CPR (eBook)
- Standard First Aid – Online (Blended Only)
- Blended Standard First Aid CPR & AED Course takes approximately 16 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing; 8 hours for online portion and 8 hours for in-class component
- In-classroom Standard First Aid CPR & AED Course takes approximately 14 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing
- Recertification for Standard First Aid CPR & AED is approximately 7 hours teaching time in-class OR 4 hours online learning + 4 hours in-class for Blended.
*Online learning time will vary depending on the learner.
Course Completion Card or Certificate
Upon successful completion of this course, students receive a Standard First Aid certificate (digital certificate) and Standard First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for 3 years.
- Standard First Aid CPR/AED level C
- Standard First Aid BLS level HCP
- Recertification Standard First Aid CPR/AED level C
- Recertification Standard First Aid BLS level HCP